Finding a New York apartment this summer was debatably the most painful two weeks of my life. If you ask anyone here they’ll tell you the only thing worse than finding an apartment is actually moving into it (and out of the old one of course). Lo and behold the actual apartment hunt was far worse than the moving, for me at least. By the time moving day rolled around I was still living out of a suitcase so my ride up the elevator with 3 suitcases in tow wasn’t quite the moving day New Yorkers were referring to.
Eventually my 23 boxes from good old Plainfield, IL arrived and I had about enough room for maybe 3 of them. So I got really, and I mean really creative on how I could fit 25 denim jackets, about 100 too many beauty products and the rest of my 22 years into a studio turned two-bedroom apartment.
I’ve compiled a list of 5 things that saved me when it came to making the most of my 9 by 10.
- I spend half of my time getting ready in the morning digging to the bottom of my make up bag to try and find my mascara. This acrylic makeup organizer has seriously saved me when it comes to knowing where everything is. It’s small enough to fit on the bathroom counter but big enough to store all of my beauty favorites.
- 2. I also keep these lipstick holder (below) on my windowsill to display all my lipsticks. It doubles as a colorful décor piece and makes it way easier to find what shade your looking for.
- I don’t know how my dad is always right, but it seriously never fails. I wanted a cute all white bed frame with a headboard to match. But of course he made me op for the more practical option. I ended up with this bed frame that comes with 4 extra inches of height for under the bed storage. It has seriously been the biggest lifesaver for storage. You can store 8 full-size tote bins underneath or storage drawers; I did a mix of both.
- Since I have the lifted bed frame I had a field day when it came to under the bed storage options. For me, I chose to keep 4 totes in the back row full of winter clothes and boots. In the front row I keep two of these baskets for storage and then two identical sets of drawers.
- This is super obvious but I still feel like it needs to be said. Flat velvet hangers can save you so much space in your closet.
Last minute tips:
- Don’t overdecorate. For me this was so hard because I love for my room to feel home-y but seriously it can get over cluttered and just become overwhelming.
- Keep counters clean (says the girl who has covered her entire window sill) but seriously keeping kitchen counters and tables clean helps to make the space feel bigger.
- Use accent pillows to bring color to your space. My apartment is painted all white and sometimes that can make it feel a little like a hospital so bringing color to my bedroom and the rest of the place was super important to making it feel like home.
- Utilize items you use everyday and want easily accessible as decor. Cough, cough this lipstick organizer.
If you’re moving or just doing some reorganization these tips are amazing for saving room and making your space feel way bigger than it actually is. Enjoy!